Sunday, November 11, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

I love oatmeal. Have always been a fan, and ever since my kids could eat solid food, I've been feeding it to them as well. They are big fans too! They like it almost any way I make it. Since it's fall, however, I always stock up on canned pumpkin and had about 1/2 cup of it left in the fridge that needed to be used. Lightbulb! Here's the recipe! Serves 3-4 depending on how much you give them. I usually give them a little over 1 cup cooked each so it only serves them (with me sneaking bites).

1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
2 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 Tbsp flax meal (rich in omega fatty acids and is great brain food! They can never tell it's in there)
1/4 - 1/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark and more or less to taste)
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp coconut oil (or butter, but coconut oil is better for you in millions of ways)
1/2 cup of canned pumpkin
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground ginger (all spices you can add more or less according to your taste. This is all an estimate since I didn't really measure them, but I used about two big pinches of each which equals about 1/8 tsp)
2 Tbsp maple syrup

Combine everything (yes everything) in a cold sauce pan, and turn stove on high. Stir frequently until you get a gentle boil, then turn on low and stir constantly for a minute. All done! Easy peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment